The Heart N Home Team


Follow us on Twitter
Visit us on Facebook
Visit  blog
Our videos on YouTube
Visit us on LinkedIn
3 FREE REAL ESTATE E-BOOKS
print version

In 1796, near the mouth of the Credit River, the British Government erected an inn and trading post, known as the Government Inn.  The river takes its name from the custom of trading with natives based on a system of credit.  On August 2nd, 1805, the British Crown signed a land treaty with the Mississaugas at the River Credit in which the Native Mississaugas retained a one-mile strip on either side of the river.  It was only in 1834 that the village plot for POrt Credit was surveyed and harbour construction began in earnest.  Port Credit experienced a number of economic booms and busts throughout its history.  The arrival of the St. Lawrence Starch Company in 1889 and other large industries boosted the area's prospects.  The Village of Port Credit was incorporated in 1914, gained town status in 1961, and joined the City of Mississauga in 1974.  Old Port Credit Village, located on the west side of the river and south side of Lakeshore Road, was designated as a Heritage Conservation District in 2005.

Click Here For Listings in Port Credit

Port Credit

View more services  
adminlistingsprivacy policycontactsite map